NYC subway system had a problem.
The tragic events of 9/11 revealed a complete shortfall in emergency lighting in many of NYC’s buildings and infrastructure.
Pressure from a riders’ advocacy group called the “Straphangers” spurred NYC to develop a specification for an advanced system of efficient LED lighting with long battery life and remote monitoring of battery readiness.
NYC Transit had interest in:
- 4 hour LED emergency lights (industry standard is 1.5 hours)
- Establish Communication between emergency ballast and control panel
- Ability to dim lights during day
- Testing & Reporting
The Wagner LED rail lighting system paired with LEDdynamics control system provided DALI standard compliant communication between Emergency Ballast and Control Panel.
- Dims in response to natural daylight
- Self Tests per NYC requirements
- 30 second test every 30 days
- 30 minute test every 6 months
- Reports any failure in battery or light engine to unified control panel
The control system took 5-months to engineer, design, test and install.